Freitag, 10. August 2012

guest post Julie Fei Fan Balzer

I'm so excited to be a guest "post'ler" on Julies side.
I gave a little interview and made some new pages for this post. Enjoy :-)

Q: How long have you been art journaling?
A: I started art journaling in summer 2011 as addition to my scrapbooking projects. But before then I had always written and sketched regularly in my diary.

IMG_0025 

Q: Why did you start art journaling? A: One night I sat by my computer and surfed the web without a concrete goal, just to find inspiration. It happened then that I came across an art journaling page. This page impressed me and I continued to google for key words “art journaling” and filtered by pictures. The result was full of beautiful pictures. The colors and the ideas exploded literally in front of my eyes and I was hooked to art journaling. So I started as a scrapbooker who found totally different pages in her through the art journaling. I noticed that I missed something in scrapbooking: more of myself and more creativity.

IMG_0014
Q: Why do you continue to art journal?

It is a way to express my thoughts and feelings in pictures, shapes and colors. A kind of illustrated diary in which I can capture important events, thoughts, dreams and wishes. It lets me experiment with materials and colors. It also lets me try different techniques. The difference between scrapbooking and art journaling is that in art journaling it does not need to be “perfect” outcome and it doesn’t require a goal or result. I can always leave a creative discharge and I can reinvent myself. This created a new freedom, which I endlessly enjoy and that is why I continue to art journal.

IMG_9414

 I love the thought that I can later on go through my books and remember and show them to my kids and grandkids. My little world gets archived, it is a good feeling to continue.  

IMG_0018

Q: How often do you art journal?
A: Not every day but minimum once a week. It doesn’t depend on my desire or my will but it is simply a time constrain. It can happen that I do 5-6 pages in one setting when I have the time. I always have something to say and I always have the desire to be creative

IMG_0008

Q: How has your art journaling affected other craft/art that you do? A: Art journaling and changed my scrapbooking style dramatically. Sometimes one can not distinguish between my art journals and my scrapbooking. I mix everything just as it come into my head. Currently I do not use any pattern paper for scraping but I use create my own backgrounds.

IMG_0041

 Q: Were there classes or books or YouTube videos that really helped you in your art journal journey?
A: Many art journal pages in the web and a video by willowing have influenced me. They helped me to define what art journaling is and I could understand what art journaling meant for other people. But at the end I follow my own art. For example, I use photos in my pages because they bring more meaning into the page.

IMG_0020

Q: What are five must-have art journaling supplies? 
  • Neocolor II
  • Structure paste
  • Stencils (Crafter's Workshop)
  • Black pen (Micron)
  • Stamps


IMG_9429
 
 
 Q: What advice would you give to someone who wants to start an art journal?

A: Do what you want, do it more and often and then see the wonderful results. Let yourself inspire by others but stay true to yourself and don’t try to copy.

Kommentare:

  1. Hi, I found out your blog through Julie's post, and I find your art very inspirative. I add it to my reader to follow you from now on, feel free to visit my blog as well, I would be glad to welcome you !

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I'm soooooo excited for you being on Julie's blog, how awesome for you and us. It's amazing how far you've come in a year and the way you mix pictures with paint and scraps, LOVE LOVE YOUR STYLE!!! How fun this was to read about you and see your workspace, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to still following you on this beautiful journey of creating art.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Congrats on being on Julie's blog! Fabulous creations!

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. I'm visiting from Julie's blog, your work is gorgeous!!! Thanks for all the inspiration, it was fun to read your interview :)

    Linda

    AntwortenLöschen